Cravings

The first craving i had was for ice. Not surprisingly as Summer was already starting in Abu Dhabi by April. Although the drinking water in the office where I used to work was already cold, I'd still prefer my drink, be it water, juice, or cola, to be with ice as in lots of ice. Then on my second month, I remember I craved for a burger. I looked for a nearby Burger King's number and hope to have a home delivery but unfortunately it wasn't available at that time. Since I'm about to get off work in less than an hour, I decided I will just go to Mc Donald's near our accommodation. At Mc Donald's I took home a "tasty" burger meal which was the same size of a quarter pounder, or probably bigger. That meal can actually be shared by two persons but I finished it all...alone : )

The next craving I had was for singkamas. I don't know what's it called in English but it's a white root crop that tastes like water but it's quite sweeter. A friend says she saw some being sold in one Filipino store but she can't remember where. Ritchie (my husband) has a colleague (Cely) who has gone home (Philippines) for vacation so I just requested Cely to bring me some singkamas when she comes back.

The next craving after that was for custard apple. I was happy to find some in Carrefour Supermarket but they were still raw so I kept it to ripen which never happened and they only produced molds. It was my roommate who's also a close friend, Ingrid, who found some ripe and really tasty custard apple in another small supermarket. Since Ingrid and I work in different shifts, she just left the custard apple on my side table as I was still sleeping when she came from the supermarket. When I got up and saw the custard apple I ate it right away not even knowing who gave it.

The funny thing was most of the cravings I had were for fruits and delicacies which are exotic or native to Philippines like the singkamas. The other cravings for Filipino food I had were suman (rice cake), siopao (Chinese dimsum), cassava cake, ensaymada (bread with margarine and cheese toppings) among the few. Luckily, these other than singkamas were readily available in the nearby Filipino Restaurant.

In the Philippines, there's a belief that if a pregnant woman's craving was not given or satisfied, she will then have a stomach pain or her baby will be ugly out of frustration. I'd say this isn't necessarily true. There were some cravings I had which I either didn't get right away or did not get at all but my baby is still cute and really charming.

Technorati Profile